Serves 8 Flautas
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 40 min
- 1 lb chicken breasts*
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
*Try it with our Chicken Breast Box!
- 2 cups fresh spinach packed, about 2.5 oz
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup black beans canned or cooked (approx. 1 can)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
Cook the Chicken
- Add all ingredients for boiled chicken to a large pot. Fill with water so it's 2 inches above the chicken. Turn to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, measure out 1.5 cups of black beans, add to a small bowl. Lightly mash with a fork or potato masher.
- If using canned, quickly rinse. Drain as much water as you can before adding to a bowl.
- Once the chicken is done, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and set a baking sheet aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add cooked chicken and shred. Add the shredded spinach, beans, cheese, cumin, salt, and a pinch of cayenne and mix. Add about 1/2 cup of filling to the lower half of a tortilla and spread it out in an even layer, covering most of the bottom half.
- Fold up the bottom of the tortilla about 2 inches, then tightly roll into a long thin flute-like shaped flauta.
- Place rolled flautas seam side down on the baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the top with a thin layer of oil.
- Add to center rack in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the ends are lightly browned.
- Serve with pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and fresh cilantro and enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from Served from Scratch